You never planned on the bombs in the sand or sleeping in your dress blues:
- “And when I read that, I wept.” (Related.)
- “The country of knights and ladies. The country of Victor Hugo and Chateaubriand. The country of Pascal and Descartes. The country of the fables of La Fontaine, the characters of Molière, and the verses of Racine.” (Related. Related.)
- “Reversed thunder, Christ-side-piercing spear.”
- Heroic. Also heroic. Demonic. Poetic. Also poetic. Glorious.
- “[T]he book of Joshua records that only three cities were destroyed by fire: Jericho (Josh. 6:24), Ai (Josh 8:28), Hazor (Josh. 11:11). Interestingly, there are 15th century BC destruction layers at all three sites.”
- Thread. (Related.)
- Newman: “Fear not that thy life shall come to an end, but rather fear that it shall never have a beginning.” Nouwen: “[C]onversion is the individual equivalent of revolution.” Chesterton: “To live it is necessary to be born again, to be born again it is necessary to die.”
This…is a stretch.